Monday, February 27, 2012

"I Go to Seek a Great Perhaps"

When I read John Green's Looking for Alaska as an undergrad at Rhode Island College, it was for an adolescent literature class. The class wasn't geared towards teaching students YA literature, but simply exposing us to what YA lit is and what students are interested in. In fact, I don't even remember getting the chance to discuss Green's novel in class. I recall spending more time on The Charlie Bone series and asking, "What is Twilight?!" (it was still new then) -- we weren't very productive, I must admit.

But now, reading Looking for Alaska with high school students and teaching in mind I see it in a very different way. I can't imagine any student that I know now picking up this book for class and rejecting it. There are innumerable connections that a young (or old!) reader can make to the text. Especially after reading some of what John Green has said about the novel -- it essentially exists for readers to ask questions and to wonder, not provide any answers or come to solid conclusions. This novel will show young readers that they needn't know exactly where there life is going, in fact, it supports not knowing at all, because that is the amazing part about life -- seeking a mysterious and uncertain "Great Perhaps."



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for an insightful piece looking back at your history with a text. I have to admit that I went an googled "The Great Perhaps" after reading your post...and came up with an interesting (comical) video from YouTube.

    ReplyDelete